Lexington Drug Crime Defense Attorney
Call Bleile & Dawson for Quality Representation - (859) 951-3112
With 40+ years of collective experience on their side, our Lexington criminal defense lawyers at Bleile & Dawson are well-prepared to handle all types of drug crime cases. Attorney Ashley Dawson of our firm has been included in Super Lawyers® Rising Stars℠ as well as in the Nation's Top One Percent by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel.
Are you accused of illegal drug possession? How about the crime of illegally distributing or trafficking drugs? Regardless of the drug crime charges you are facing, you can turn to our capable team for unwavering legal support. We know how to build effective defense plans that increase defendants' chances of reaching positive case results. It is our goal to help you protect your rights and to help you avoid conviction whenever possible.
In order to ensure that our clients receive the fullest benefit from our legal services, we assign multiple lawyers to each case we handle. We believe in working together as a team, as well as in listening to the client and making his or her future our priority. For an experienced lawyer who actually cares about protecting your future and your freedom, contact our team today.
Reach out to Bleile & Dawson at (859) 951-3112 for a FREE consultation!
Penalties for Drug Crimes in KY
The majority of inmates in America are incarcerated due to drug crime convictions. It is no surprise then that there are so many different forms of drug crimes on record, each one carrying a different form of penalty compared to the next offense. To help you get a stronger idea of the penalties you could face of you continue with your drug crime case undefended, it is worth reviewing some of the least-severe drug crime penalties the Kentucky criminal justice system can issue.
Drug possession is not considered a violent or serious crime but you may still be penalized with:
- $500 to $10,000 in fines
- One year to three years in prison
- One to five year probation after release
- Mandatory drug rehabilitation programs
If you believe that these penalties are excessive or harsh, know that they will only escalate as the severity of the crime increases. Factors that could increase the severity of your charges include what substance is in question and how much, where you were at the time of the arrest, and the extent of your criminal history.
Defenses to Drug Crime Charges
Our Lexington criminal defense lawyers firmly believe that there is no reason for anyone to ever sit down and accept the punishment the State would like to use against them after they are arrested. No matter the circumstances of your case, there is a way to defend yourself against the accusations. It all comes down to your decision of legal counsel, and whether or not they have the experience necessary to think of uncommon solutions.
Defensive strategies that may be used in your drug crime case include:
- Misidentification: Drug crime arrests often verge on profiling. Police usually have little to go on, other than a vague description of a suspect. Can the prosecution prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you are the person the police were seeking?
- Wrongful search and seizure: When the police suspect that someone possesses or traffics drugs, they can be overzealous to get their hands on the evidence before it is used or changes hands. Without a proper search warrant granted on reasonable grounds, any evidence they collect from you or on your property may be inadmissible.
- Entrapment: Many drug crime arrests occur after an undercover police officer has offered to purchase illegal drugs from a suspect. If the officer was persistent in their efforts to secure an illicit substance, it may be seen as entrapment, or forcing someone to commit a crime.
Your First Consultation Is Free!
Whether you are accused of a crime involving cocaine, heroin, meth, marijuana, prescription drugs or another type of drug, we can represent you in your criminal case. It all starts with your initial case evaluation, which we offer at no charge. This allows us to review the details of your case and then provide you with legal advice that can help you determine your next step of action. For some drug crime defendants, the best move is to fight their charges, even if this means taking the case all the way to trial. For others, the best option may be to seek a favorable deal with prosecutors or a second chance through drug treatment in a pretrial diversion program.
Contact Bleile & Dawson at (859) 951-3112 for effective defense in your drug crime case! We accept calls for free case evaluations 24/7.